Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Looking for a Pro to convert old circlemud 2.0 to TBA

More
01 Dec 2020 17:53 #9768 by angrboda6
Willing to pay someone to convert my old mud to the new tbamud codebase, is this something anyone has done before?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2020 17:12 #9769 by Rumble
Several here have done it, I have not. It depends how customized your MUD was. Since it is so old most would recommend you start with tbaMUD and add in the differences. But if your MUD has significant code changes than maybe you just want to add certain parts of tbaMUD to it, like OLC. What modifications does it have from stock CircleMUD 2.0?

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
19 Dec 2020 07:13 #9770 by doogie
I converted from 2.2 on Amiga to 3.0 bpl 11 on Cygwin, then to 3.0 bpl 17 CWG Buddha, then to 3.1, and finally to tbaMUD 2020 on Linux (Pi for testing and Debian on AWS for production), and each time it took a lot of work. I believe between 2.x and 3.x there were big changes to send_to_char() and other frequently used functions and structures. Then, when going to the tbaMUD codebase, there were lots of new features (protocol, user menus, olc, changes to world and help files) that made updating a pain. Another big change is away from bitvectors and to ascii pfiles. This can rock your players' world.

For me, the best approach was starting with the new codebase and importing differences from the old base one-by-one until I got a good final product. In some cases, the old features had been superceded by new additions to the base code that made "converting" unecessary. In all cases, the conversion took time. Are you on a specific timeline? Rumble's question about the modifications from the old stock code is important.

How invested in this are you -- how much time are you willing to invest and how much are you willing to spend? If you have some C knowledge yourself, you can take the approach I mentioned above and start making changes to the new codebase to bring it closer to your own until you find a sweet spot. I might be willing to help you depending on what kind of MUD you're running and how active your players are. Can you post a link/address?

More
06 Jan 2021 13:36 #9773 by cunning
I agree with Doogie. I am the coder of JediMUD and it was based on RAS very first versions of Circlemud. I tried converting first, it was a MAJOR PIA. I went the route of starting with TBA and converting it. it was a lot easier to add the parts that were different. The hardest parts were converting the binary files to ASCII, and converting the significant database differences from the old system to the new. It just takes patience and time.

More
04 Mar 2021 19:16 #9783 by angrboda6
I have a few other people willing to help, all of us have a crude skill level with C. The game address is dpreturns.com 6969. I am not entirely certain of how much has been updated. i think the OLC has been upgraded to 3.0. I believe some other aspects as well. Honestly, it might be a gargantuan mess. I believe we can scrape up a thousand bucks or so and we would all be tinkering/working on it in our spare time.

More
16 Mar 2021 04:40 #9789 by Cansian
Im doing the same, started with TBA and add the rest in one Im working with, but had some issues. The one I couldnt fix I posted about (Its about loading affects).

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds