Considering a genre/theme change

• Sascha
  • Sascha's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
2 years 2 months ago #8176 by Sascha
Considering a genre/theme change was created by Sascha
I've been considering a change at After the Breaking for the past two months, and I'd like to get practical feedback and your thoughts.

After the Breaking is a Wheel of Time themed MUD. In the beginning when it was concepted out there were four founding staff members, all WoT geeks. Over the past two years the time has become fragmented and honestly, I'm the only one left able to put in consistent time, energy and effort. That's fine. The thing is - I've done Wheel of Time to death. I did it for 20 years. I'm somewhat not feeling it as much as I did in 2016. I'm an extremely creative person, though, and I feel as if now that the series is finished it's more regurgitation than creation and I'm struggling some days with what I'm doing. For example, I'm a heavy AD&D gamer (we're talking from the late 1970s blue-box D&D roots) and I find myself writing zones and adventures that are more AD&D appropriate than anything, so I go back and edit to make it WoT. Part of me screams "But it would be so cool if I could just tweak the canon this way, I mean, it could make sense..." and then I just rip it out and rework it to fit the theme. I've been reflecting that if I were starting right now, today, would I base the game on the Wheel of Time? Or would I go with, say, the Deryni Chronicles, or Chronicles of Amber, or any other book series I love? Which then comes full circle of where are the roots, and where does it all come back to in the Fantasy genre overall...?

I'm considering reworking everything to an AD&D theme. Specifically, I have a world that my gaming group started in high school (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) that is now being played by the next generation every other week or so, and it would be so easy to bring that over to the MUD environment.

Pros: I can do almost anything I want. No one is going to criticize about undead running around and point out that ghosts don't exist, for example. AD&D has a larger following that transfers to a broader audience. Possible ability to recruit more talented help without the whole "I never read the books" issue.

Cons: 25 zones (2500 rooms!) including mobs, spells, etc. that would need to be edited/reworked. Roughly two years of work hits the work ethic pretty hard, I guess. Possible reaction of "another AD&D based game?!?". Possible over-saturation of the market.

Has anyone here ever gone back to the drawing board and converted existing to another theme or genre? Does anyone have other thoughts regarding my pros and cons? Am I crazy to even consider this?

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #8180 by Papaya Pete
Replied by Papaya Pete on topic Considering a genre/theme change
Please login to view the answers

More
2 years 2 months ago #8181 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Considering a genre/theme change

• Sascha
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
2 years 2 months ago #8182 by Sascha
Replied by Sascha on topic Considering a genre/theme change

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

More
2 years 2 months ago #8183 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Considering a genre/theme change

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Sascha
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
1 year 10 months ago #8244 by Sascha
Replied by Sascha on topic Considering a genre/theme change

The following user(s) said Thank You: lacrc

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds